[lbo-talk] Minority Report (was Southern vs. Northern violence)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri May 11 07:40:50 PDT 2007

>From: "Joseph Catron" <jncatron at gmail.com>
>
> > On Thursday 10 May 2007 11:33, ravi wrote:
> >
> > > Someone mentioned that the racism in the North is polite while it is
> > > open in the South.
>
>Growing up, I always heard that Southern whites disliked their black
>neighbors as a group, but liked them as individuals, while Northern
>whites did the opposite. Nothing I've seen in either region has given
>me any cause to doubt it.

I must say white Southerners certainly have an impressive record of *lynching* their black neighbors as individuals. Quite a display of Southern hospitality on this table (link below). I note that my home state of Massachusetts does not appear to have lynched anyone at all. Well, that's the frosty North for you: They may not be quick to give you a "Howdy!" but they're not quick to dangle you by the neck from a tree, either.

<http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/shipp/lynchingsstate.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507