[lbo-talk] who's more racist? (was Minority Report etc.)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 11 10:34:02 PDT 2007

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> I read this list backwards through the archives and after reading the
> last 15 or so hours of posts on this it is weird. I'm wondering now,
> is there something about the discussion itself that is racist?

Yes, there is. It has (implicitly -- and almost explicitly in Carl's first posts) defined racism as a mere sum of individual attitudes, not as instituionally embedded in u.s. society quite indpendently of whether individuals are/are not racist. This _is_ racism. Individual attitudes are really quite secondary.

The _first_ step in really fighting racism would involve (a) a complete reconstruction of most living units in the inner cities; (b) tearing down all the schools in the inner cities and replacing them with structures that felt good to those active within them; (c) elimination of local funding of schools and a replacement with a state tax, distributed from the state and therefore alloting equal $ per pupil to Northbrook schools and to jSouth Chicago Schools; (d) A guaranteed income _well above_ the poverty level for all inhabitants of the inner cities; (e) turn prisons into the vatation resorts right-wing idiots think they are.

This would be a small beginning. Actually it would be insufficient for fundamental change but it would be a start.

Carrol