[lbo-talk] Russia's economy

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri May 11 10:58:22 PDT 2007

On 11 May, 2007, at 1:42 PM, ravi wrote:
> On 11 May, 2007, at 12:45 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but as Jeffrey Sachs put it in his ghoulish old way - before he
>> was born again as a disciple of Bono - the Russian industrial
>> infrastructure had to be destroyed, while China was starting from
>> scratch. That is, the inheritance of USSR was not up to modern
>> standards if the economy was going to open up to the outside world.
>> Outside natural resources and maybe basic metals, what companies has
>> Russia created that counts for anything on a global scale?
>
> Continuing my India analogy, what companies has India created that
> count? Please, please, please, do not say Infosys and Wipro. I will
> have to go out to the parking lot and shoot myself if you do. If the
> analogy holds, can one be optimistic (as the whole world seems to be)
> about India?

I am curious... what has China created in a global scale? State sponsored knock-offs like Huawei and ZTE? I can't think of any (mostly due to my ignorance of China). Do they have a GM, Honda, Boeing, Citibank, Pepsico, Monsanto, Johnson & Johnson, P&G, GE, Viacom/Murdoch, Nokia, Microsoft, Google, 3M, .....? They have the corner on some things: all of WalMart goods, 70% or so of television sets (IIRC), and so on, are produced in China. But that seems to be in the same league (albeit one level more sophisticated) as raw material export.

--ravi