[lbo-talk] who's more racist

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 11 12:05:18 PDT 2007

> The spectacle of dueling anecdotes, facts, figures and
theories -- all aggressively tossed about by guys who don't personally face the problem under discussion

Being married to a black and about to adopt children who are black makes the problem personal for me. Call me an old-fashioned queer, but what affects my family affects me.

Also, Carl's way of thinking is something that is a) far too predominant among whites; and b) something that is not challenged enough. Whites love to excuse the racism of their locality by diverting attention to areas where racism is worse, thereby letting themselves off the hook about doing anything about it in their own backyards. They bask in the notion that where they live is not as racist as that Other place.

a) gets curiouser and curiouser the longer the thread lasts.

What is curious about a white person opposing racist discourse? I also oppose heterosexist discourse. Is that curious as well or comprehensible since I am queer.

Brian