[lbo-talk] Russia's economy

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Fri May 11 13:02:50 PDT 2007

Doug, why don't you try crossing that border to find out just how unguarded it is? I can remember crossing into the US without so much as showing a drivers licence. Those days are gone, the US is an armed camp.

But that is not what I am talking about. American multinationals established in Canada so that they could have access to the Canadian consumer market. Russia could sell resources to Europe and elsewhere, technical assistance to those lower down the VA chain, and through a combination of domestic investment in infrastructure and public goods attract a broad range of multinationals and domestic companies to service a growing domestic market. Chris seems to be indicating that this is what is partly going on. Resource rents are being to some extent ploughed back into domestic infrastructure.

I raised the Canadian model primarily as an example of middling affluency (and aspirations) built on a very weak indigenous industrial base. Given Russian development to date this seems plausible and Russia has similar resource profile to Canada with an albeit larger potential domestic market and proximity to an equally affluent and "unguarded" (to the US) export market. ____________________________________ Travis W Fast