[lbo-talk] Pervert's Guide to Cinema

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 15:24:31 PDT 2007

Not to brag, but I think I could be a pretty good guide to perverted cinema. A connoiseur of "Euro-Trash" films (Jean Rollin, Jess Franco, et. al.), one of my favorite things to do is, when I have folks over, mercilessly subject them to Jack Palance's cameo in the 1969 b-movie JUSTINE, based on the novel of same title by the Marquis de Sade. Palance plays a sexually sadistic monk who brutalizes the unsuspecting Justine; Klaus Kinski is also shamelessly in the film. I have the DVD, and in the commentary the dir., Jess Franco, said Palance would routinely show up drunk to the set.

It's easy to believe, and someone uploaded a part of the Palance performance here onto YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CtFBmoJ86E

The YouTube clip is titled "Jack Palance Meltdown!" Unfortunately it's not his whole performance, but you get a pretty good idea from it. One of my fave moments in cinematic history -- the confluence of de Sade, Jack Palance, Kinski, the exploitation aspect and the bad acting, etc., all into one surreal package.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:
> <http://www.thepervertsguide.com/>
>

> Cinema is the ultimate pervert art. It doesn't give
you what you
> desire - it tells you how to desire' - Slavoj Zizek
>
> THE PERVERT'S GUIDE TO CINEMA takes the viewer on an
exhilarating
> ride through some of the greatest movies ever made.
Serving as
> presenter and guide is the charismatic Slavoj Zizek,
the Slovenian
> philosopher and psychoanalyst. With his engaging and
passionate
> approach to thinking, Zizek delves into the hidden
language of
> cinema, uncovering what movies can tell us about
ourselves.