[lbo-talk] My Day in the Land of Oppression

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 06:43:50 PDT 2007

> You can't answer this now, because you've already
> hit your daily
> quota, but you're evading the point - Moscow is much
> richer than the
> rest of Russia. You keep citing the wealth of Moscow
> as if it were
> represenative. It's as if I took Manhattan's Soho as
> representative
> of life in the USA.

Well, of course. But St. Petersburg, Kazan, Rostov-on-Don, Ekaterinburg, and Vladivostok are not hellholes either.

The North Caucasus and Siberia, on the other hand... Thiose places are really poor (excepting the towns based around the natural-resource extraction industries -- those are rich, albeit with a very high cost of living). I already mentioned Kalmykia with its Chess President.

(Then again, there's the issue of whether one can accurately compare the living standards of an urban dweller and a Siberian reindeer herder. They're really different lifestyles after all.)

____________________________________________________________________________________Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online. http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting