[lbo-talk] Why Is America So Violent?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 14:25:03 PDT 2007

Bitch is right. If we can believe Thompson, the average workyear in pre-industrial England was 150-120 days a year, about four months of which (Spring sowing and fall harvest) was pretty brutal, can't see to can't see. The rest of the year was extremely leisurely. In England took a great deal of savage class war, enforced by poor laws and state power, to break the working class to factory discipline. Gutman and Montgomery say similar things about the US. Basically it's really only in the late 19th century that you get the kind of extension of the working day and year that led to the struggle for the eight hour day. One reason that struggle was so militant was that it was bring imposed on people who were not accustomed to it. So drawing the baseline is a tricky thing. Is it 1888, when factory workers are fighting against 40 hrs days, or 1840, when most Americans are farmers living on the old pre-industrial rhythms? Or 1950, after industrialism and the progressive protection, hedged by unions, are in place? None of these are "natural." Pre-modern, pre-industrial farming is the oldest and longest lasting, but that world is lost.

I think, also, that we have to respect people's perception. You cannot, a la Heartfield, tell people who feel harried, oppressed, pressured, to shut the fuck up, don't bitch and moan, they never had it so good. Even if it is true in terms of objective conditions, something's wrong with something, the tabulation of hours or the conditions of life if people feel like shit.