[lbo-talk] Abortion in the Irish courts again

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Mon May 14 00:51:28 PDT 2007

On 5/11/07, Jason <lists at moduszine.com> wrote:

> > The idea that abortion causes psychological trauma for life is
> > definitely not a well accepted view in secular circles
> > internationally.
>
> I don't know about that. I'm sure you're right in terms of left wing and activist circles but on the other hand the whole abortion issue seems to be framed in terms of how 'unfortunate' it is. The Clinton slogan seems to sum it up well: "safe, legal, and rare". This instead of arguing clearly and distinctly for a woman's right to choose. Plenty of pro-choice activists seem to be put on the back foot when people inevtiably raise the spectre of abortions as contraception.

That's true, but I don't think that necessarily has anything to do with the view of abortion as something that psychologically scars women for life. There are any number of studies that show this not to be the case (among the most famous being the one commissioned by the Reagan administration, which Reagan tried to suppress after learning the results!) and it's my observation that these are generally accepted within secular circles *except* in Ireland.

The abortion-as-contraception issue I think is different, and has more to do with a limited degree of acceptance of foetal personhood and/or a view of unwanted pregnancy as a mark of irresponsibility.