[lbo-talk] Carbon rationing

Jason lists at moduszine.com
Mon May 14 07:56:10 PDT 2007

8am: Shower. Save the water. Save the planet

Would you switch everything off and rely on natural light to save the planet? It's the only answer for the families going to extreme measures to cut emissions. Most families get up in the morning, switch on the lights and start their ablutions. The Robinsons do not. The Robinsons get up, leave the lights off and open the curtains a crack so some light gets in but little heat escapes. This is the world of "carbon rationing". The term may fill some people with horror - conjuring up images of wartime austerity measures and queues for bread and sugar. For others it may suggest green fundamentalists forcing us to swap our central heating for woolly jumpers and run our cars on chicken dung. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6635759.stm

--- Amusing article, including a bit about how the 'Crag' got ideas from the screws in a prison. Indeed.

I hear that 'put on another jumper thing' from people all the time. In the old, pre-eco days it was a sign of a true West Brit (member of the Anglo-Irish Protestanct ascendancy). How times have changed.

Jason.