[lbo-talk] Why is America so violent

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon May 14 11:22:04 PDT 2007

Jim Starub:

And the whole tv thing just leads to a more intractable problem for us. Many workers are relatively satisfied with the current status quo because, even under declining real wages that have driven families to adopt two or three-income plans or else have a real tough time of it, most people are in general pretty pleased and entertained with the variety of technological gizmos, tv music and movie entertainment, and other assorted consumer pleasures, that 36 grand a year in the society of the spectacle will bring ya.

And I can see their point. TV has had better and better entertainment on, the popcorn-crunching movies are endlessly diverting, the internet and cell phones are fun and useful, driving to work is way easier than the busses and bikes I used to use, and the suburban life I had outside las vegas was largely hassle-free, undistracting and pleasant. What does the left offer instead?

[WS:] You are right on the money, Jim. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/02/health/02cnd-mood.html?ex=1179288000&en=86 b3fcfd31f0ea99&ei=5070

If the left want to offer an alternative, it must make people equally happy - not more miserable and guilty.

Wojtek