[lbo-talk] Hannah Arendt: The Jewish Writings

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Mon May 14 17:42:52 PDT 2007

LRB http://www.lrb.co.uk/

Vol 29 No 9 dated 10 May 2007

Judith Butler: Hannah Arendt http://www.lrb.co.uk/v29/n09/butl02_.html

The Jewish Writings by Hannah Arendt ed. Jerome Kohn

'You know the left think that I am conservative,' Hannah Arendt once said, 'and the conservatives think I am left or I am a maverick or God knows what. And I must say that I couldn't care less. I don't think the real questions of this century get any kind of illumination by this kind of thing.' The Jewish Writings make the matter of her political affiliation no easier to settle. In these editorials, essays and unfinished pieces, she seeks to underscore the political paradoxes of the nation-state. If the nation-state secures the rights of citizens, then surely it is a necessity; but if the nation-state relies on nationalism and invariably produces massive numbers of stateless people, it clearly needs to be opposed. If the nation-state is opposed, then what, if anything, serves as its alternative? http://www.lrb.co.uk/v29/n09/butl02_.html