[lbo-talk] Workers Are on the Job More Hours over the Course of the Year

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon May 14 20:28:04 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> As I recall, this thread's prehistory was that James H and I
> disagreed on the increased work effort measured at the household
> level (i.e., more women working for pay). I still think that's true.
> But the more recent threadlet was about absolute levels of leisure,
> and at 4-5 hours a day, that's a long way from the sweatshop. I
> wonder if the time crunch is a more socially acceptable way of saying
> alienation, depression, and anxiety?

I still insist that households/families are working more wage labor hours than they were in the 1960s. The data that James provides obscure this fact by treating the individual worker as the unit of analysis. The household unit is under far more significant time pressures than households a generation or two ago.

Miles