[lbo-talk] Workers Are on the Job More Hours over the Courseof theYear

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Tue May 15 08:05:14 PDT 2007

> tfast wrote:
> >
> > That should have read: more members of the working class work, but
because
> > of declining hours the total amount that the working class works is the
> > same.
Carrol writes
> 1. How are those hours divided up among different sectors of the class.
> 3 9 gives an average of 6, an unreal figure. How many households are
> there in which the total is less than 40? How many households in which
> the total is more than 90? Where do the former live? Where do the latter
> live? How do total household hours of labor among voting families
> differ, if at all, from total household labor hours among non-voters?

All good questions. Some of which can be got at through existing surveys some cannot. But I think your questions are right on the money. The working class has new cleavages based on income and hours inequality. And while I am not a big fan of dual labour market theory as a first cut description it is not bad.

> 2. Are the total hours per week taken up by grocery shopping more, the
> same, less than during the golden age of u.s. labor? (And it is _only_
> the golden age, whenever that was, that is a relevant standard of
> comparison.) Are these total hours of shopping about the same in all
> sectors of the working class or are there significant differences?
> Travel to and from work? Time spent on child care? (If current social
> standards require more or allow fewer hours per day in 'hands-on' child
> care?)

I am not sure about the US but in Canada commute times are up which I personally think ought to be included as hours of work. Again here I suspect there are significant inequalities.

To my mind having more members of the household engaged in paid labour = more stress even if the total hours have not changed that much. Most of the two working couple families I know spend most of their free time talking about work or sharing office gossip. It is like hanging out with grad students: a never ending story about what they do.

Travis