[lbo-talk] Junkyard dog hits Motown

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue May 15 15:00:54 PDT 2007

> CB: March on Wallstreet ?

What would that do? Would it pay the bills for the retirees? Would it make more people want to buy Chrysler's vehicles? I'd really love to hear some ideas about how the U.S. auto industry could be turned around, but not much comes immediately to mind.

Doug

^^^^^

CB: It is , of course, not certain that it would help autoworkers. However, I have - what can I call it ? An intuition - that if the financial powers-that-be got the idea that masses of rank and file wage-laborers might start to focus on the financial sector as the ultimate exploiters who somehow are profitting from the loss of pensions, wage levels etc. , through all the circuitous economic "logic", the moneybags would find a couple trillion to fix a lot of the economic woes of the auto industry, to quiet things down. The financiers can make as much money as they need. Remember how Chrylser was bailed out ? Long Term Capital Management was bailed out. If there's a wallstreet will, there's a way. I know technically, Wallstreet has nothing to do with Chrysler's problems, and the Big Three just can't sell enough cars, but frankly, I ain't buyin' that. I think the whole financial system is abstractly "Enronic" in the final analysis. The rationale for why those who get most of the money get it doesn't hold up. The whole thing is a giant congame. If the workers stood up , stood firm en masse ,and said we ain't buyin' it, Wallstreet would blink first, I predict.

Roughly speaking.

Sit down , stand up , fight, fight , fight !