[lbo-talk] More on science

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue May 15 15:38:14 PDT 2007

``...she was willing to start, ... but found the sources [too difficult to follow]...'' .d.

--------

Sorry .d. It was an ungenerous thing to say. I am in mostly a sour mood these days.

And yes, I used to peer into shadows in the back yard or the dark street and dream about aliens, weird creatures coming from outter space---drew rocket ships, and thought we needed to get to outter space in a hurry. Science and futuristic worlds of wonder...

To me, progress, future, science, technology were all wrapped up together. It was just appalling that we were still stuck in the social dark ages (circa 1959). I used to think that some form of public ignorance was to blame---a kind of will to be stupid.

I honestly believed that studying science was a road to liberation. I didn't have the grades and or the mental discipline for it, plus bad grades. Anyway, dot, dot, dot. I turned to art and the humanities to find their forms of liberation.

Whether any of that vague idealism is true or not, I still more or less believe it. There is a form of freedom to be had---a kind of imaginary freedom to roam the worlds of knowledge at will. And, what I found was there are a few concepts that can open up whole vistas like magic.

Hard core modernist, enlightenment ideals, rational state, liberation of man, etc, etc, etc.

Man did I get that part wrong.

CG