[lbo-talk] Bush admin wants to criminalize "attempted" copyright infringement

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Tue May 15 20:22:53 PDT 2007

> And note how the RIAA has managed to dramatically up
> the hysterical ante on copy protection rhetoric and
> law.
>
> By the lights of this proposed statute, a person could
> do long time for FTP'ing to Belgium a ripped recording
> of Britney Spears lip sync'ing (but live, on stage).
>
> Imagine: an unauthorized someone "imports" a live
> performance of "Hit Me Baby" and DHS springs into
> action as if a team of atomic rifle armed terrorists
> is hover biking towards the White House.
>
> If that isn't surreal I don't know what is.

What else do you do when the cultural zeitgeist is moving against you?

You freak out and enlist the state to start making examples of people. While apparently most Americans oppose media piracy, younger people just don't care nearly as much:

Attitudes regarding pirated content differ sharply by age, however. Just 50% of respondents ages 18-25 believe downloading unauthorized content is wrong compared with 75% of respondents ages 45 and over.

"Downloading will be a phase for some, but these young consumers still represent a threat to the music and movie industries," said John Barrett, director of research at Parks Associates. "Young adults are the key consumers for music and movies. Even a temporary lull in their purchasing can have a big impact."

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/3831/parks_associates_internet

-WD