[lbo-talk] Celebrating the Death of Jerry Falwell

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 16 04:57:39 PDT 2007

On May 16, 2007, at 6:07 AM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> The comments I've read from anti-Falwell types have been disgusting
> and heartless. Celebrate the death of a man because you disagreed with
> some of his opinions and political activism? How humane. The most
> passionate anti-Falwell types hated him because he did not support
> homosexual behavior and because he was anti-abortion. This alone makes
> someone a hateful, worthless bigot according to the hard left. But
> let's just say for a moment that Falwell is a bad as these folks
> claim. How does celebrating his death and laughing about such a
> tragedy make his critics any better? In fact, it arguably makes them
> look much worse. For all the talk about Falwell being a hypocrite from
> these people, perhaps they should stick their own self-righteous faces
> in front of a mirror.

Oh please. So all this be kind to the religious stuff now extends to Falwell? Falwell was a hateful reactionary creep. He helped elect Reagan. He called Mohammed a terrorist and blamed my kind of people for 9/11. ("I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'") Fuck him.

Doug