[lbo-talk] Junkyard dog hits Motown

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Wed May 16 07:11:52 PDT 2007

On 5/16/07, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 May 2007 18:08, Doug Henwood wrote:
> > Well yeah, but why can't they? Why are the Big Three so bad at
> > designing cars? I don't get it.
>
> Why is Microsoft so bad at writing software?

Yeah, why does stuff normally suck? You have these entities with decades of experience in producing stuff (or waging war, governing people, etc), and they're not so great at what they do.

An OS is typically a boring abstraction layer. A car is a personal transportation device. The people working for these companies are mostly wage-slaves going about their tasks, for people who want to make money. Why should these things be eye-poppingly exciting... for more than a few years? At least as far as most people are concerned?

That said, I tried out a preinstalled Windows Vista on a machine (before I wiped it). Looked fine to me. I don't think it's particularly shoddy. It's just uninteresting.

Tayssir