[lbo-talk] Junkyard dog hits Motown

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 16 08:13:45 PDT 2007

On May 16, 2007, at 10:37 AM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Fact of the matter is (and I guess I am
> skirting dangerously close to certain waters where I
> don't want to go), we need red business people, red
> accountants, red MBAs, red engineers and red factory
> and line managers.

In some sense, yeah. I keep worrying that Chavez is going to crash and burn, in no small part because PdVSA is going to run into the ground. There's a real problem with distributing all the oil profits for social development - as wonderful as that should be, you can't keep the company going that way. It runs the risk of ending up like Pemex. And what about the managers and techies? If they're all reactionaries who go on strike or into exile, how can you keep the economy running? Inflation in Venez is approaching 20% - that sort of thing often comes to a bad end. I hope I'm wrong.

Doug