[lbo-talk] Bush admin wants to criminalize "attempted" copyright infringement

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed May 16 08:51:05 PDT 2007

Mr. WD wrote:

> Unless you have virtually no assets -- thereby making your 'judgment
> proof' -- It would be incredibly foolish to laugh the RIAA away if
> they sued you. If you don't respond to a lawsuit, the court will
> enter a default judgment against you; probably for everything the
> plaintiff is asking for. After that, depending on the rules of the
> jurisdiction you live in, the plaintiff can put leins on any real
> property you own, garnish wages -- even have the sheriff seize
> personal property. Sure, there are a surprising number of people in
> the U.S. who are so asset-poor that they are literally beyond the
> reach of the civil side of American law. Chances are though, if you
> have the resources to do the stuff that could expose you to a lawsuit
> by the RIAA, your life stands to be really fucked up if you ignore
> their lawyers.

I should have clarified that people should laugh off the initial letter from the RIAA. People buckle under when they get cease and desist letters, which aren't lawsuits.

It would be good if more people would stand up to the RIAA lawsuits.

I'm on my way to pick up a registered letter from some wingnut who thinks they are going to sue me.

Chuck