[lbo-talk] Tehran, the Art Capital of the Middle East

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 10:28:54 PDT 2007

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

"You mean the Erotika show that you mentioned: http://yalibnan.com/site/archives/2007/04/erotika_exhibit_1.php Aside from the subject matter, though, what's interesting about it? As far as its style is concerned, there's little that can be said for it.

Yoshie,

I like how now you're an expert on art, too, and can pronounce there's "little that can be said" for an art exhibition you've not seen, that's half way around the world.

And as for "ASIDE FROM THE SUBJECT MATTER, what's interesting about it?" -- well, the IS subject matter interesting, for one. So, ASIDE from that -- which is a massive aside, by the way -- what's interesting about it, I already said: It is a fairly random event (but also noteworthy) I forwarded to the list, germaine to LBO's covered topics, but also because of where it takes place and because of many Westerners' perceptions about the social climate of that area.

More to the point, it's one of many possible representatives of Beirut's vibrance as an art and cultural scene. Yet to say Tehran is "the art capital of the Middle East" is just more of your single-minded fetishizing that flies clearly in the face of the facts. I also mentioned other things about Beirut (the fashion industry and shows there), but you didn't comment on those.

Can you tell me something you're not an expert on, incidentally?

-B.