[lbo-talk] Vietnam's water puppets go to Canada

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Thu May 17 15:57:41 PDT 2007

Nhan Dan http://www.nhandan.com.vn/english/

Last updated: 15:24 - May 7, 2007

Vietnam's water puppets go to Canada http://www.nhandan.com.vn/english/culture/070507/culture_v.htm

A nine-member Vietnamese water puppetry troupe left Hanoi on May 5 for Canada where they will perform at the Vancouver International Children's Festival.

The group, which includes five puppeteers, three traditional musicians and one tour leader, is scheduled to perform in Canada'sthird largest city from May 8 to June 2.

"We are proud that Vietnamese water puppetry will be on display at an international festival," said Vu Phuong, director of the Hanoi Cultural Fund and tour organiser.

"One of our main objectives is to support Vietnamese cultural activities."

Water puppetry is an integral part of Vietnamese history, Phuong said, and officials have asked the United Nations to recognise it as a world heritage art form.

In 2002, a Vietnamese water puppetry troupe sold out all their shows at the Vancouver Children's festival, which has been running since 1978. The world-renowned annual celebration includes a variety of hands-on activities designed to stimulate young minds, according to organisers. (VNA) -------------------------------------------------------------------- © All rights, including design and copyright are owned by NhanDan Online.