[lbo-talk] Baby, baby baby, you're out of time (Was Re: time use: a Lingua Franca article from beyond the grave

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 19:50:56 PDT 2007

Missed this one earlier.

>From the Lingua Franca article:
This is one cold war you can blame on
> détente. In
> graduate school at the University of Michigan in the
> early 1960s, co-
> author Robinson helped launch the first
> international social survey
> to go behind the Iron Curtain. Time use was chosen
> as the survey's
> focus; among other advantages, time was the most
> politically neutral
> subject anyone could think of.

The final clause is the most astounding statement I have read about any political or scholarly subject in as long as I can remember. Especially in this context. Time is after all the core of Marx's critique of political economy -- not just in the refinement and debate (please let it rest) about value theory, where value is identified with socially necessary labor _time_, but also in the theory of capitalist exploitation that makes the appropriation of the worker's time and his/her life the focus of the critique of capital itself. (This was a point, btw, where Heidegger, who wrote a thing or two worth reading about being and time and even alienation, gave respectful acknowledgment to old Chuck.) I guess it goes to show how completely both sides of the ex-Cold War had missed Marx's point.

____________________________________________________________________________________Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games. http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow