[lbo-talk] Japan schools to teach patriotism

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun May 20 13:45:33 PDT 2007

Michael Smith wrote:
> On Sunday 20 May 2007 09:05, Doug Henwood wrote:
>

>>In the early 20th century, our elite decided they could assimilate
>>all the troublesome offspring of the immigrants into the American way
>>through the schools. It worked pretty well.
>

> I'm not entirely convinced it did work all that well. It's hard to tell, of
> course, but I wonder whether mass media may have done a lot more to
> assimilate people than the schools ever did.
>
> For several decades now, the schools have been earnestly trying to inculcate
> high-minded liberal and civic values -- diversity, tolerance, respect for
> expertise etc. -- and the result has been a public which takes bloody-minded
> delight in tweaking its nose at all these liberal palladia.

Whaaaa--? When you look at support for "liberal" ideals--desegregated schools, acceptance of same-sex relationships, support for women's participation in the public sphere--we've seen a tremendous political shift in the U. S. since (say) 1950. Sure, you've got the dumbfuck Imus backlash, but the real trend--as the christian conservatives bemoan--is that the liberals is winning the "culture war". --And note that every generation of Americans is yet more "liberal" about this stuff than the previous one!

Miles