[lbo-talk] A public square

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun May 20 22:21:01 PDT 2007

joanna wrote:

> ravi wrote:
>

>>I wonder: Is the absence of such a thing as a public square a matter
>>of significance for the nature of political action in the United States?
>>

> Yes, is it ever! It not only removes actual public space, it removes the
> possiblity of thinking that any such thing might exist.
>
> Where are the public spaces now? The mall? No. Church? No. Sport arenas? No.
>
> The church would be a good candidate, but not until the left can rethink
> their atheism.

The public library is one of those public spaces in the U.S., but even it is threatened by privatization and the misguided belief held by some librarians that the library should be like Barnes and Noble.

We're having a discussion about this right now on the anarchist librarians list.

Don't get me started on how public libraries are using taxpayer money to subsidize large publishers. The evil side of Harry Potter.

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/