[lbo-talk] crime rising in US cities

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 21 12:06:58 PDT 2007

Jim Straub wrote:

> Doug mentioned the Iraq war blowblack as maybe contributing, but I'd be
> willing to bet there's very little link this time. I just don't see it
> being vets in north philly, east cleveland and west las vegas shooting up
> blocks. Isn't the people vets mostly do violence to, their spouses and them
> selves?

Twenty or so years ago Cockburn published some figures that showed violent crime (or perhaps just murder) went up after every war -- and not just among veterans, but among every sector of the population. I don't remember the exact year or any exact figures, but it was impressive at the time. It was particularly impressive in reference to sectors of the population with a low murder rate: it was still low after wars but higher than before the wars.

Carrol