[lbo-talk] crime rising in US cities

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 21 12:26:25 PDT 2007

On May 21, 2007, at 2:38 PM, Jim Straub wrote:

> Doug mentioned the Iraq war blowblack as maybe contributing, but
> I'd be
> willing to bet there's very little link this time. I just don't
> see it
> being vets in north philly, east cleveland and west las vegas
> shooting up
> blocks. Isn't the people vets mostly do violence to, their spouses
> and them
> selves?

As I recall, that's not the theory - it's not the vets that do the crimes, it's the sight of state-sponsored violence abroad that inspires crime at home. There was some sociologist or criminologist linked to this theory, but it all escapes me now. This is what happens as you approach the near-elderly demographic.

Weirdly, NYC seems exempt from this latest crime wave. If economic polarization were a major cause, you'd think we'd be leading the way.

Doug