[lbo-talk] A public square

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon May 21 23:40:33 PDT 2007

The first step to radicalizing any portion of the apocryphal "middle class" will be to convince it that there's no such thing. As long as Democratic politicians, union leaders, and other apparati of the ideological control apparatus keep braying about it like it's their Holy Grail - and the fictitious "middle class" keeps listening - I hold out little hope. (And Chuck, Jim and others can attest to my historical hatred of the imaginary "middle class," which was as justified as any hatred of a social construction.)

As a friend and I agreed in conversation earlier: These days, stupid kids go to college. Smart kids become carpenters, electricians, plumbers, or the like. (And I'm in the former category, so don't hold my keen grasp of the obvious against me.)