[lbo-talk] MESA on Academic Boycott of Israel (was Re: academic boycott of Iran)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 22 05:17:59 PDT 2007

On May 22, 2007, at 7:56 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Doug is happy about the fake news of an academic boycott of Iran

No I'm not. I think academic boycotts are largely stupid, unless a virtuous and substantial force in the target country has made the request. And U.S. sanctions against Iran are awful. In that WP article, I was interested in the comments of Juan Cole and especially Noam Chomsky, who are not known as saber-rattlers. If you've said anything on the detention of Haleh Esfandiari, though, I've missed it. Is the Iranian government justified?

Doug