[lbo-talk] From Eric Lee's "Labourstart"....

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 22 20:23:33 PDT 2007

COSTA RICA: CHIQUITA SACKS WORKERS WHO REPORTED POISONING

If you ran a business and some of your employees came to tell you that workers were being sprayed with a toxic chemical, wouldn't you listen to them? And if it turned out to be true, wouldn't you praise them for reporting the problem? That's not what Chiquita, one of the world's biggest and best known fruit companies, did. Instead, they have sacked two union members (Alexander Reyes and Marcos Borge) and ignored their warnings. They've refused to negotiate with the union, which has called for an international campaign of protest. Please take a moment to send off your message:

http://www.labourstart.org/cgi-bin/solidarityforever/show_campaign.cgi?c=251

***

CHILE: THE STRIKE IS OVER, BUT THE STRUGGLE FOR JUSTICE CONTINUES

Last week we told you about a strike by Chilean forestry workers in which one worker, Rodrigo Cisternas, was killed by police. We're pleased to report that the strike has now ended and an agreement on wages has been reached -- including a 52% wage increase for the lowest-paid workers. But the union and its global union federation (the BWI) have asked for the campaign of protest over the killing of Rodrigo, who left a wife and five-year-old son, to continue:

http://www.labourstart.org/cgi-bin/solidarityforever/show_campaign.cgi?c=247

***

MEXICO: MURDER OF SANTIAGO RAFAEL CRUZ - ONE MONTH INTO THE CAMPAIGN

It's now been a month since we reported to you on the killing of union organizer Santiago Rafael Cruz. Santiago's killers are still at large and the campaign continues. You have sent off nearly 4,400 messages of protest, but we need to send many more. Please make sure to send off your message today:

http://www.labourstart.org/cgi-bin/solidarityforever/show_campaign.cgi?c=232

An injury to one is an injury to all http://www.iww.org.au/

____________________________________________________________________________________ It's here! Your new message! Get new email alerts with the free Yahoo! Toolbar. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/