[lbo-talk] A public square

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue May 22 22:29:52 PDT 2007

Eubulides wrote:

>What twaddle. If the professoriate is so fucking smart, progressive and well
>organized why are they unable to find jobs for those they give PhD's to? It's
>not like the demand for so-called "higher education" is in the ruts. And no you
>don't get to blame the problem on the non-academic, unorganized majority or
>"education markets" or politicians. As regards the below, for those outside the
>US, Washington State is one of the bluest of the "blue states" i.e. liberal
>[although it's nowhere near as blue as residents like to imagine themselves...].
>Seems the professoriate and university administrators are no better at
>preventing nonlinear wackiness in the demand/supply dynamics for institutional
>learning than GM and Ford are at building the kind of cars people want.

It's totally fucked up. The high-school kids I know wind up having homework the ENTIRE summer to prepare for AP classes. My only hope that the all these kids whose lives are being wrung out of them to join this fucking meritocracy, will eventually get so sick of it all that they will make our counterculture look staid by comparison.

Joanna