[lbo-talk] missing hegemon at the CFR

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 23 13:55:55 PDT 2007

On May 23, 2007, at 4:10 PM, Steven L. Robinson wrote:

> The problem described in your report was not "widespread
> antagonism" but one of perceived comparative weakness of US
> imperial power.

They're related, you know. Sophisticated imperialists know that you need assent to rule, and that armed force should only be a last resort - and when you resort to it, you should win convincingly. The consensus of the panelists and the audience was that American power has been weakened by the fact that we're now widely hated.

Doug