[lbo-talk] labor bitchiness

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 24 13:05:53 PDT 2007

Jim Straub wrote:

> The
> labor geeks and professors are too busy talking about P9 and tdu to
> ever get
> to it.

Someone wrote me offlist with the very interesting and pertinent question: why are laboristas so bitchy? Why the constant assertions of authenticity, and the constant dis'ing of (essentially sympathetic) intellectuals? And why the intense sensitivity to criticism? One thought my correspondent had was that when you're losing so big in the real world, then you lash out at easy targets - because your real enemies are too busy ignoring you. I dunno. But it's an interesting question, and an interesting hypothesis for an answer. But I'd love to hear more.

Doug