[lbo-talk] QUT to discipline academics for advocatinghumanity (part three) please sign or e-mail

james daly james.irldaly at ntlworld.com
Thu May 24 15:07:37 PDT 2007

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim" <tim_boetie at fastmail.fm> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 3:14 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] QUT to discipline academics for advocatinghumanity (part three) please sign or e-mail

In a comment on the quoted blog another blogger seems to me to express the point of view that I referred to as "a sense of humour":

As an epileptic, I too hate it when I get the "poor thing" treatment from those who think that I need "protection" from simple facts of life.

Saying a disability can’t be the key premise of a joke is itself offensive to me. These "senior academics" haven’t got a clue from my perspective.

Humor is an essential part of human interaction, and individual flaws are a natural source of mirth. Why should disabilities prevent people from fully participating?

However, in a radical criticism of the original blog, another blogger wrote:

You know you have a "wider intellectual and moral problem" with Arts faculties when it falls to Marxists to speak up for common sense and decency.

J. D.