[lbo-talk] labor bitchiness

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 22:49:43 PDT 2007

I dunno, I have also found that even though I'm working class in upbringing and social background "labor" -- which I guess now only means folks in a union or better yet working for one -- has really jealously guarded its flocks and shot itself in the foot many times by shooing away "labor geeks" aka folks who are sympathetic to working folks' plight and the struggle of unions.

I don't know of many other left-type movements that would really work hard to shrug off folks who support them. For example, are there "homeless geeks," "free speech geeks," etc. that free speech advocates or homeless rights advocates put down? No, folks in organizations working on those issues generally welcome any support they get. But "labor" is a whole different story. I guess "labor" just means "on a union payroll" -- not folks in the working class itself [like me]...? Or what? I've always been a labor geek.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"Yeah, that too. I'm getting mellow in my middle age, though maybe some would say I'm less left than I used to be."