[lbo-talk] labor bitchiness

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 22:57:38 PDT 2007

There's a lot of great stuff in old country music, but let's not forget that, like punk, it also had its shameful moments. I'm thinking of the too-expensive-to-buy-but-worth-downloading-on-Soulseek compilation "Atomic Platters," which is Cold War era (read: 1940s - 1960s) pop music, a lot of it of the country variety, featuring Hank Williams, Wanda Jackson, et. al., doing ANTI-COMMUNIST songs.

In the "What Would Bill Hicks think?" category is Johnny Cash, featured on this comp. doing a public service announcement for the Dept. of Defense, asking folks to contact their local civil service offices for nuclear attack info, a commercial that is from either the late 50s or 1960s. I'd rather take my nuclear attack advice from Johnny Cash than almost anyone I know, but nowadays such cozy relationships between musicians and the federal government are a sure way to lose your cred. Again, I can't help but think of many Bill Hicks routines playing on this.

-B.

Mr. WD wrote:

"If you take the time to listen to mainstream commercial country music radio, for example, you'll find that the vast majority of the songs take a sloppy, sentimental, earnest tone you'd never have heard from older country singers like Hank Williams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xu71i89xvs) . I mean, compare the older stuff to, say, the single Toby Keith and Willie Nelson recorded called 'Beer for My Horses' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JZUHFuklo8):"