[lbo-talk] labor bitchiness

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Fri May 25 12:47:15 PDT 2007

No, I think there is more than enough failure for all to share in.

I'm not completely sure what you're asking me at this point. Is there any person or organization in the US whose analysis, strategy and program are demonstrably very successful in rebuilding the left? I don't think so. Some groups do well in their particular corners here and there. Some intellectuals do good work. Most of us struggle to move our viewpoints at all in the wider public.

Having said that, are there any unions that are demonstrably more successful than others in doing new organizing to rebuild the organized power of workers in those industries? As it happens, there are a handful. UNITE HERE and SEIU to the greatest degree, and AFSCME, AFT, CWA and some smaller, regional unions and particular locals here and there as well. Pretty much all of these unions share a set of flaws and weaknesses, which I happen to think are facets of the state of things and the conditions that govern class struggle today. My personal opinion is that rebuilding the labor movement is one of a few ways to turn things around for workers in the US and also to rebuild a left outside of the cultural ghettos it occupies these days. It would not be hard to make the argument that I am demonstrably wrong about the latter so far, but, everyone needs to choose their ship to go down on, and that one's mine.

I guess I am too hard on leftists who I think live in a fantasy bubble, unaware of how marginal they are because they have cocooned themselves in the last few places they do have any relevance. At the end of the day, they nor I don't have the silver bullet to turning things around, and we all go about doing what we can. Maybe me being a dick about it is just a case of frustration at our ongoing rout spilling over into recrimination among the defeated. On the other hand, it's a minority viewpoint among the left that I find often leftists don't disagree with as much as don't think is relevant or important, so maybe its good to have a voice chirping up about how the majority of the working class lives, works, and relaxes in places we don't go and would think we're nuts if we got a hearing.

But don't let me give the impression I think my own shit don't stink. It reeks!