[lbo-talk] labor bitchiness

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 21:19:38 PDT 2007

There's a certain amount of pragmatic self contradiction in saying:

Leave
> the trope of
> dehumanizing opponents to the repugs.

isn't there?

FWIW, one the most wonderful human beings I know, who is also one of the best judges on the federal bench, was appointed by Republicans. And great deal of the nation's fragile attachment to civilization rests on the health of one old Illinois Republican Supreme Court justice -- everyone please pray to whatever Powers there be for well-being of Justice Stevens.

Nor does niceness depend on people who for historical reasons are in or of the GOP for historical reasons but who have political views that are left of most Democrats. My best friend in law school was a culturally conservative Christian evangelical who is one of the smartest people, also one of the nicest and most open-minded people, that I have ever met. My dad's best friend -- my dad was a staunch New Deal Democrat -- was also a right wing Christian evangelical and a Navy SEAL, rather less open minded than my law school friend, but that wouldn't be hard; I'm not as open-minded as he, who, along with his similarly minded wife, are both far nicer and more generous, kins, and giving people than 99% of anyone else. And so forth.

---> > In addition, one could argue that a reactionary is