[lbo-talk] "Sovereign wealth funds"

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat May 26 10:07:04 PDT 2007

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>On May 26, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Marvin Gandall wrote:
>
> > The export of capital from the developing nations to the advanced
> > capitalist
> > countries was unforeseen (so far as I'm aware) by the classical
> > theorists of
> > imperialism, although Western finance capital still stands to
> > benefit hugely
> > from its management of these surpluses.
>
>Sure, and I don't doubt the City of London made money off Britain's
>transition from creditor to debtor. A lot of leftists want to see
>growing U.S. indebtedness as a sign of strength - somehow all those
>Asians buy U.S. treasury bonds are paying us tribute or something, as
>if we weren't on the hook for interest & principal, and in constant
>daily need for new finance and the rolling over of old loans.

Isn't it part of the City of London's self-promotional myth that -- no matter what the UK's own balance sheet, be the nation hegemonic creditor or post-imperial debtor -- the CoL has amassed such formidable financial smarts over many generations that it has the potential to stay a global financial powerhouse indefinitely? If I'm not mistaken, though, the CoL's Thatcherite revitalization that began with the deregulatory "Big Bang" of Oct. 1986 has fulfilled its promise simply by making the London Stock Exchange unbeatably lax in oversight, a real anything-goes place to issue and trade stock. The post-Enron NY Stock Exchange -- burdened with all sorts of noisome requirements for better transparency, corporate governance, etc. -- gazes with rapt envy at today's LSE, which surely has the most permissive capital markets environment since the catastrophic South Sea Bubble of 1720. It's hard to see the supposedly robust, contemporary LSE as anything but an accident waiting to happen.

I suspect when the myth of Anglo-American superiority in financial know-how is finally dispelled, the UK/US will have little economic future except as tourism centers -- places where wealthy travelers from today's "emerging markets" will come to gawk at the decayed splendors of two utterly vanquished imperial colossi.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best Web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507