[lbo-talk] labor bitchiness

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 10:38:04 PDT 2007

I wrote to B.:

There has been lots of "good left protest music" done since the early 70s -- Springsteen, the Clash, Gang of Four, etc., but stuff that is useful as an organizing tool and usable as anthems like the songs in the Little Red Book or the great civil rights songs are in another league altogether. No one is going to use a hip hop song to unify, inspire, or electrify a demo. You can't exactly sing along, any more than you can to the songs on Sandinista.

Maybe you are right about "young people," but I don't see it with my kids or their friends.