[lbo-talk] McCain uncorks one

Tim Francis-Wright tim at francis-wright.com
Fri May 25 16:45:22 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood write:
> <http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0507/
> McCain_unloads_on_Romney_Mitts_camp_punches_back.html>
>
> Sen. John McCain used a blogger conference call today to unleash his
> toughest -- and most personal -- attack yet on former Gov. Mitt Romney.
>
> Per a McCain aide, one of the bloggers asked about the immigration
> issue and Romney's attack on the compromise."Maybe I should wait a
> couple of weeks and see if it changes because its changed in less
> than a year from his position before," McCain responded, referring to
> his rival's immigration stance. "And maybe his solution will be to
> get out his small varmint gun and drive those Guatemalans off his lawn."
>
> McCain's reference to "Guatemalans" was an allusion to the Boston
> Globe story from late last year that reported Romney used illegal
> immigrants from that country to do work on his lawn.

Even better, it was also a reference to Romney's claim last month to have been "a rodent and rabbit hunter. Small varmints, if you will." The claim came after it was revealed that he had gone on only two hunting trips in his life.

<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070405/romney-hunting>

I am impressed at how hard the Republican front-runners are working at preempting the sure campaign missteps of the Democrats.

--tim francis-wright