[lbo-talk] Developments in the world economy and the concept offoreign ownership

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun May 27 14:12:12 PDT 2007

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>... It makes me wonder who really drove all
>that inter-imperialist war in the 19th and early 20th centuries. My
>pal who's doing a diss on the City of London says the City didn't
>want WW I - the politicians did. The City was making too much money
>floating securities for Germany. More recently, I don't think it was
>even the oil industry that pushed for the invasion of Iraq; that came
>from politicians and right-wing intellectuals. Now they may have a
>"better" grasp of the long-term interest of capital than the
>capitalists themselves, but a lot of capitalists just prefer the
>status quo to something as risky as war.

I think the stereotypical image of there being a strong affinity between capitalists and militarists is way off the mark. Wheeler-dealers are classic appeasers -- witness Joe Kennedy Sr. They believe in the power of the dollar, not the gun, and figure why use violence when you can cut a deal -- there's plenty in it for everyone. That's why I think it's ludicrous to propose the Iraq invasion was "about oil." The major US oil companies did just fine for decades in the Mideast by brandishing dollars not armored artillery -- what strategic sense did it make for them to get rid of the smooth, discreet, no-risk, low-cost, dollar-diplomacy that had successfully powered the global oil trade for generations, in favor of the high-cost, reckless, smash-and-grab approach to oil sourcing represented by the Iraq invasion? Business people might like military metaphors, but they do not like military methods.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best Web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507