[lbo-talk] Memorial Day

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon May 28 11:44:22 PDT 2007

On Monday 28 May 2007 01:31, Carl Remick wrote:

> I just saw a Memorial Day photo at the NY
> Times website that broke my heart

The photo editors are the only good thing about the Times.

It really is a disturbing and beautiful image. The harsh geometry of all those stones, and then the girl in her summer dress. The detail that caught my eye was the water bottle. She came to stay a while.

Her pose doesn't really look like an embrace to me -- the elbows are tucked in, the face in the hands. It's very inward. Not an abandonment to feeling -- more like an observance. The feet crossed, so oddly and touchingly demure.