[lbo-talk] dev'ts in world economy and foreign ownership

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon May 28 12:42:58 PDT 2007

Michael Smith asks:

> why didn't they see that coming?

Why didn't anyone here see that coming?

In fact, it's probably the other way around: they lied about it because they thought it would be okay in the end. The results would speak for themselves, and the lies would be forgotten. You know, the old 'by any means necessary' line. Oh, wait!

There was very little reason at the time to believe that what they wanted to accomplish couldn't be accomplished. They made a lot of mistakes and failed to quickly and definitively respond to those mistakes, and that's perhaps the puzzling part of it.

I think you could only explain it by inventing a narrative that's a little too kooky for even me to think of it: that the current outcome _is_ the intended one. That will take you down a twisty maze that could take you a while to dig out of.

The other possible explaination comes from Marcellus Wallace:

Marcellus: Night of the fight, you might feel a slight

sting. That's pride fuckin' with you. Fuck pride!

Pride only hurts, it never helps.

/jordan