[lbo-talk] Question: when is a chicken a dried lily flower?

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 09:10:38 PDT 2007

On 5/29/07, Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> China is a top violator of US food safety standards,
> with US authorities last month rejecting 257 Chinese
> food shipments — far more than from any other country,
> US media reported Sunday.
>
> At least 137 food shipments were rejected as "filthy"
> after testing positive for salmonella, or for
> containing banned ingredients.
>
> The Food and Drug Administration last month seized
> more than 1,000 shipments of tainted dietary
> supplements, toxic cosmetics and counterfeit medicines
> from China.

well today the chinese tried to prove they are cracking down by sentencing the head of their FDA to death.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0,,2090404,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=12

<Blockquote> The disgraced head of China's food and drug agency was sentenced to death today amid a wave of consumer safety scandals that have rippled across the world.

Zheng Xiaoyu was found guilty of accepting 6.5m yuan (£433,000) worth of bribes from pharmaceutical companies to expedite the approval of new drugs.

Underscoring the state's determination to crackdown on corruption and consumer safety violations, he is the most senior official to receive the death penalty in seven years. <blockquote>

I know it isn't related to the food scandals in this country, but it seems obviously timed to have this impact on world opinion. And barbaric as the methods may be, NPR seemed to take the bait this morning on "Morning Edition" reporting, almost gleefully, that China was cracking down by killing the bureaucrats responsible for problems like the pet food mess.