[lbo-talk] Cap and Trade Question

Tim Francis-Wright tim at francis-wright.com
Tue May 29 16:48:52 PDT 2007

A while ago, there was a discussion here about the relative merits of cap-and-trade mechanisms and carbon taxes for reducing carbon dioxide emissions.

I personally side with carbon taxes for a number of reasons, but I wonder something about cap-and-trade schemes. Why have environmental groups not been devoting large amounts of money to buy and retire pollution credits in the current markets? (Perhaps they have been and I have been ignorant of what has been going on.) I would think that those kinds of expenditures would be easy to justify to contributors (and eventually moot arguments about effective "carbon offsets").

--tim francis-wright