[lbo-talk] U.S. support for Israel "rarely wavers"; white evangelicals in the lead

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed May 30 14:45:57 PDT 2007

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
><http://pewresearch.org/pubs/491/six-day-war>
>
>A Six-Day War: Its Aftermath in American Public Opinion
>For 40 years, public opinion has consistently favored Israel over the
>Palestinians
>
>by Robert Ruby, Senior Editor, Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life
>May 30, 2007
>
>For six days, beginning June 5, 1967, Israel battled Egypt, Jordan
>and Syria. ...

[Lest it be forgot, America's best-buddy Israel also managed to squeeze in time to battle the US simultaneously. The US may have other allies as staunch as Israel but none as cute.]

Remember the Liberty! When Israel attacks, the Pentagon retreats

By Justin Raimondo May 30, 2007

It was 40 years ago this June 8 that the USS Liberty – a large, armorless, refitted freighter that was gathering intelligence in the Mediterranean at the outset of the Six Day War – was attacked by Israeli fighter jets and torpedoes. Thirty-four U.S. sailors were killed, and 172 were wounded. The Liberty limped back to Malta. A U.S. Navy court of inquiry was on board investigating the damage, but – for some reason – the investigators were not allowed to proceed to Israel to find out what really went on. Orders from the top echelons of the Pentagon nixed the inquiry, and today, the families of the fallen still haven't gotten any answers as to why Israel was allowed to get away with it without even so much as a slap on the wrist – nor even any public acknowledgment that it was a deliberate attack.

Far from apologizing, the Israelis have to this day denied that they attacked the Liberty on purpose, and – incredibly – they stoutly maintain that the whole thing was an "accident." This in spite of the fact that the Liberty was proudly flying a U.S. flag and was easily identifiable as an American vessel. The Israel Lobby has even gone so far as to publish a book, The Liberty Incident, by Jay Cristol, that makes the case for the "accidental" scenario, but the survivors' families – and a number of credible commentators – aren't buying it. One of those commentators is the former captain of the Liberty, Ward Boston, who has signed an affidavit stating unequivocally:

"The evidence was clear. Both Admiral [Isaac C.] Kidd and I believed with certainty that this attack … was a deliberate effort to sink an American ship and murder its entire crew. It was our shared belief, based on the documentary evidence and testimony we received firsthand, that the Israeli attack was planned and deliberate." ...

<http://www.antiwar.com/justin/?articleid=11042>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07