[lbo-talk] get ready for Pres Clinton - again!

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 08:01:28 PDT 2007

Which party is "better able to manage the federal government"; which party is more "honest and ethical"; which party is "more concerned about people like me", "more capable of bringing about needed change", and "able to face down threats to national security?"

Pew must pay their pollsters a lot to ask questions like these! Talk about assertions for which there's no empirical evidence!

BobW

<http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1007/6644.html>

> [...]
> much could change in the next year.
>
> t’s very early in the race, and we would all be
> shocked if the South
> went for Clinton,” said Michael Dimock, Pew’s
> associate director of
> research.
>
> One factor the poll “reflects is the lack of focus
> among Republicans
> right now,” he said.
>
> That lack of focus is visible when partisans are
> asked to rate their
> own political camp.
>
> Only 36 percent of Republicans and
> Republican-leaning independents
> say the GOP “does an excellent or good job” of
> “standing up for
> traditional GOP positions” on issues like reducing
> the size of
> government, cutting taxes, and promoting
> conservative social issues.
>
> That’s a decline of 25 points since July 2004. In
> fact, it’s the
> lowest Republican rating for the GOP since Pew began
> tracking the
> issue in 2000.
>
> If it turns out to be a subway race between Giuliani
> and Clinton, Pew
> further found that two-thirds of Republicans say
> their vote for the
> Republican would be more accurately described as a
> vote “against
> Clinton” and “not for Giuliani.”
>
> Yet, as Dimock notes, “Republican enthusiasm and
> engagement could
> really turn and that’s the big unknown at this
> point.”
>
> Democrats do not have a significantly better view of
> their party than
> Republicans do of the GOP, but Democrats have long
> been skeptical of
> their tribe.
>
> Republicans, however, have become “increasingly
> negative,” as Pew
> puts it, about their party.
>
> And they are falling behind in the party loyalty
> stakes, Pew
> interviews of some 20,000 Americans this year have
> found.
>
> About a third of voters call themselves Democrats
> and a quarter call
> themselves Republicans — but when independents’
> leanings are added to
> the mix, roughly half of Americans lean Democratic
> and only 36
> percent lean Republican.
>
> That Democratic advantage in party identity is
> larger than at any
> time since tracking began in 1990.
>
> Bush’s poor approval ratings are a factor.
>
> His approval rating has dropped from around 50
> percent in October
> 2003 to about 30 percent today.
>
> That is roughly equal to Jimmy Carter's ratings at
> the low point of
> the 1979 energy crisis and Richard Nixon's in the
> worst days of
> Watergate.
>
> Additionally, the unpopular war in Iraq, the lack of
> a clear
> Republican front-runner and dismay among some

=== message truncated ===