[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Nov 1 09:04:06 PDT 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> You know as well as I do that correlation does not equal causation, and in
> order to predict something you need a causal model, not just statistical
> correlations. The IQ and 'aptitude' testing lacks such causal model in a
> scientific sense of the word, save for a bunch of racist beliefs about
> 'general intelligence' or g. Since typical academic tasks differ rather
> substantially from those included in 'aptitude' tests (which you seem to
> acknowledged in your reply), the existence of g is a necessary assumption to
> claim that the latter is a good predictor (in a causal sense) - without such
> an assumption the predictive claim is a nonsequitur. I would be interested
> to hear how you causally link test scores to academic performance without
> assuming some kind of "latent intelligence" they are supposed to measure

To descend into methodological wonkiness, predictive validity is distinct from internal validity. To effectively predict something does not require a causal model. Thus if "g" is a statistically significant predictor of taking cruise vacations, then it has predictive validity for that criterion, regardless of the causal relation (or lack of it) between "g" and cruise vacations. Your question "is some kind of latent intelligence causally linked to academic performance" is completely distinct from the question "do scores on an IQ test effectively predict academic outcomes". In my view, it's important not to conflate these two different questions.

> The difference between a spurious correlational swindle and a bone fide
> causal model is that the former gives you a lot of false negatives, whereas
> the latter does not. A false negative may not matter that much in money
> grubbing schemes - as overidentification of risk is good for the bottom line
> - but it matters quite a bit when it wastes actual human lives by baring
> them access to societal resources. In that sense, 'aptitude' testing not
> only obscures the true nature of human cognition, but it is akin to fascism
> that gives access to a good life to a select few and bars it for the
> "untermenschen" based on pseudo-scientific beliefs of the 'worthiness' of
> human life.

I don't follow your argument here. The predictive validity of IQ tests is higher than the predictive validity of SSRIs for the treatment of depression. (Proportion of variance accounted for is higher in the former case than the latter.) According to your criterion of science, most drug research is not scientific! There is lots of error variance floating around in studies with human beings, so we'll have a lot of false positives and false negatives in "real" scientific research.

This is your second fascism analogy in the thread; I still don't quite understand. For the most part, aptitude tests have high predictive validity for their criterion, and they are continually revised to maintain and improve their predictive validity. Thus the use of these standardized tests with high predictive validity is facilitating meritocracy, not undermining it! --Consider the alternative: we rely solely on the subjective assessments of teachers and other authority figures to determine access to some scarce resources/opportunities.

From many long years of teaching, and can assure you that these subjective, anecdotal assessments will produce far more injustice and denial of opportunities to capable people than IQ tests ever will. One example: the English profs at my college recently got together to do a "grade norming" check on research papers in Eng 102. A group of tenured English profs each graded the same set of research papers, and they found that the assessment of a particular paper varied wildly depending on the prof (e.g., a paper that received an A from one teacher received a D from another!). Given the fact that the research paper was the primary basis for a grade in this composition class, a student's grade would dramatically differ depending solely on which teacher they had. To put it bluntly, this is what happens when you have people without training in scientific measurement trying to assess outcomes.

I share your concern about capable people being denied access to opportunities; that is one of the fundamental tragedies of capitalism. However, the greatest danger here is not standardized assessment; it is nonstandardized, subjective assessment. Again, if a particular standardized test does have predictive validity, it will effectively identify capable people and increase their likelihood of getting access to valuable resources. If we rely on subjective assessment, people in positions of power can apply arbitrary judgements to deny opportunities to the capable and divert resources to the faithful and incompetent (that pretty much sums up the Bush Administration, yes?).

Miles